Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Breakfast for dinner? Heck yes!

Last night, after spending about an hour shovelling our driveway with the neighbors, my boyfriend and I came in from the cold, dripping wet and exhausted. I was starving and it was already 8pm. Something I've been learning as I've been cooking vegan and cooking more in general is that we don't really have an quick go-to recipes for a quick on the fly dinner.

Well, the recipe I'm about to share is not an on the-fly quick recipe, but let me tell you, it was worth the wait! This fluffy, souffle like tofu frittata was the best kind of comfort food for a cold winter storm night. I never knew that you could prepare tofu so that it comes out airy and fluffy and now I'm excited to experiment more!

We served the "frittata" hot with a salad of fresh spinach, orange bell pepper, purple onion, purple grapes, and sunflower sprouts topped with homemade honey Dijon dressing (honey is a debatable animal product, but my boyfriend and I have decided we're okay with using it). Try it and let me know what you think (but I already know you'll love it!).

Sunday Supper Frittata greatly modified from Vegan on the Cheap

1 yellow onion, diced
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cups chopped fresh spinach
1 cup white mushrooms, chopped
1/2 orange bell pepper, chopped
5-6 purple potatoes, washed, chopped, & cooked (or whatever potatoes you've got laying around)
1 package firm tofu, drained
1 Tbsp plain soy or almond milk (or a little more to get the right consistency)
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp ground fennel
salt

Preheat oven to 425 and grease a 2-3 qt casserole dish. In a large skillet, cook onions in olive oil over medium heat, covered, for about 10 minutes. Add mushrooms and peppers & cook for 3 mins more. Add spinach and cook 3 more minutes. Add the potatoes and cook until heated through.

Meanwhile, in a blender, blend tofu, milk, nutritional yeast, cumin, fennel and a pinch of salt until creamy. Add more milk if needed; mixture should be thick but creamy.

Put the veggie mix in the bottom of the casserole dish and then pour the tofu mixture on top. Cover with a lid or foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the lid/foil and bake 10 more minutes until the top becomes brown.

2 comments:

  1. Just last night, Erin and I were talking about veganizing souffles! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was out of this world good :) I'm definitely experimenting with doing that again. Such a healthy alternative to very fatty egg souffles too!

    ReplyDelete