Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Burrrrrrrrrr-eeee-toes!

Man oh man is it chilly out! I walked home from work today and thought my face was going to melt off when I walked into our warm kitchen. It's crazy, but even my teeth hurt from the cold!

Annnnnyway, I was talking to my friend Liz today and she mentioned that when she thinks of eating burritos, she can't imagine them without cheese. She recently had a sweet potato burrito and was amazed that it didn't have or need the cheese! Huzzah! Tonight just felt like burrito night so my man and I rolled up our sleeves and got to work. I must say, while I do enjoy cooking solo, there is something so satisfying about cooking alongside my boyfriend. We have such a great time in the kitchen, talking about our days at work, laughing, tasting, smiling...it's great. It certainly makes the time go faster too - a major plus when you're as hungry as I seemed to be tonight.

So we made up a beautiful fresh salad using spinach leaves, cucumbers, plum tomatoes, sweet pepper, sprouts, dried cranberries and dressing made from lemon juice, olive oil and salt & pepper, and served it with Barbecue Black Bean and Tofu Burritos. Here's the recipe - it's a keeper :)

Barbecue Black Bean and Tofu Burritos (modified from Vegan on the Cheap)


1 yellow onion, chopped
1 Tbsp ketchup
1 Tbsp molasses
1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp chili powder 
salt & pepper
1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
1 container of firm tofu, drained and dried well, then cut into 1/4 inch thick strips
whole wheat burritos, the smaller dudes, I think they're 6 or 8 inches

In a pan, cook the onion over med heat in olive oil. Cover and let them soften for about 5 minutes. Add the ketchup, molasses, soy sauce, sugar, chili powder, salt and pepper and mix. Add in the beans and cook over medium heat.

In another skillet (nonstick is best because these suckers WILL stick), heat some olive oil over med-high heat. Add the tofu strips and cook until golden brown, flipping half way through.

Lay a tofu strip in the center of a burrito, top with the bean/barbecue mix and roll! No cheese needed and I promise they're delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment