Saturday, June 18, 2011

Lemon and Ginger Tofu with Beautiful Sauce

On Thursday night we tried a VegWeb recipe posted by "carltelefunk" from the UK - Lemon and Ginger Tofu with Beautiful Sauce. The results - fantastico! But we made a few changes.

First - I don't know about you, but I don't have time to think about marinating my tofu for several hours before I cook. It's just not happening with my busy schedule. So first, I started by cutting my tofu block into 8 rectangles and towel drying them (wrap them in paper towels and press). Then I cut each rectangle in half, and then in half again, but at an angle so that I had triangles. Next, I heated up a non-stick skillet (MUST be non-stick!!) and threw in the tofu pieces, allowing them to sizzle. I took a spatula and pressed on the pieces, which allows more water to release and sizzle in the pan. Then I flipped the pieces and let them brown on the other side.

After I had the tofu ready, I removed it from the pan and put the marinade from the recipe into the same pan. I allowed the sauce to come up to a simmer and then stirred in the 6 Tbsp of coconut milk. Then, rather than using composing the plate and pouring the sauce on top as the recipe suggests, I tossed in the tofu and allowed it to simmer for a while. I added in veggies - baby bok choy from the Portland Farmer's Market, yellow bell pepper, and broccoli - and allowed it to cook a while longer so that the flavors combined. Then I served the mix on top of jasmine rice.

It was really really yummy and if I make it again, I'm definitely doing it this way instead of the way the recipe instructs. The only big change I'd make to the sauce is to swap out lemon juice for lime juice. Although it was really good, I feel like lime juice tends to be a little less harsh and will blend in more.

I took leftovers for lunch the other day, in addition to a salad with some local Ariel's hummus and some cantaloupe.




And by the way, friends, you'll notice something new beneath my blog posts - a reaction section. Please take a sec to give me some feedback about my posts! As always, thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Ok that is genius! I never take the time to really get the water out of tofu, but the skillet? GENIUS! Also, great tofu marinade that you just put in a baking dish with the tofu and turn every so often: rice vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, onion, chili paste if you like, and the magic ingredient: sesame oil. So good.


    Also, I have a suggestion for you: have you ever tried to make crystallized ginger?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, that sounds good! I can't take credit for dry-frying; learned it from Vegan YumYum :) And no, I haven't tried making crystallized ginger. Are you planning to?? You'll have to report back and let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete