Sunday, July 17, 2011

This just in: the Dairy Board misses the mark...AGAIN.

Oh Dairy Board, what's next?

I'm sure most of you have heard of the Dairy Board' latest "got milk?" campaign - "Everything I do is wrong." If not, here's a quick sum up:

The Dairy Board is claiming that drinking milk lowers signs of PMS. And so in light of this "scientific study" they've launched a campaign designed to appeal to men to get their wives to drink more milk.


This isn't even the worst of it...take a moment to visit the new website they've launched. I'm not even going to bother writing about how sexist the website is and how disgusted I feel; I'm sure you, men and women alike, will feel the same way.

I'm torn about writing them them. My first impulse was to get as many people as I can to write to their generic email address: inquiries@gotmilk.com. But then I worry that their response will be, "Man, you need to drink more milk. It sounds like you're really PMSing" which would throw me into a huge conniption fit.

The dairy industry constantly frustrates me. I don't understand why people think they need milk. The milk produced by a female animal is for its baby because the baby can't yet consume solid foods. We don't go around drinking breast milk from humans, so why do we think it's okay to drink it from cows?

On top of that, the milk we drink today compared to milk drank hundreds of years ago is drastically changed. Cows are pumped full of hormones and not permitted to eat greens outside. The "calcium fortified" milk is a result of the cow being pumped full of drugs. Ew man. I'm an almond milk girl all the way.

There are SO many other ways to get calcium in your diet and I'm sure most people don't even realize that many of the foods they're already consuming contain some amount. If you're just conscious of what you're eating, you'll be fine, I promise.

So what's the deal with this whole new campaign? What's your take? Will you write in? I'm still torn, but I think my fiance and I will craft something and write in together. I'll be sure to post our email on here when we do.

2 comments:

  1. This is absurd. I don't even believe half of the dairy industry's "scientific studies," because they are probably fabricated for marketing. The Dairy Council has most likely launched this campaign because they realize that less and less women are drinking milk nowadays (they got men on board in the last decade or so with the strong bones/muscles appeal). I work at Starbucks, and I do notice more women drinking soymilk and asking for other nondairy milk options (not to sound sexist here, but it's probably the woman reading articles on health and nutrition and discovering the harmful effects of dairy). I definitely feel you frustration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But...the good news (sort of) is that the website has been taken down and they've changed the tune of their campaign since so many people lashed out against them. They have a new website now - http://gotdiscussion.org/#/ - which apologizes, sort of, and tries to show both sides of the argument, though it obviously does so without an objective eye. Check out http://vegansaurus.com/ for more info and for Mercy for Animals new campaign - "got ethics?" I love those guys.

    ReplyDelete