Thursday, October 27, 2011

Potato Leek Soup

Sorry for the hiatus, friends. Things have been crazy in my life lately - my friend at Last House Productions created a bakery logo for me (beautiful!), the bakery has been re-named to Salt and Pine Bakery (please LIKE us on Facebook!) and I've started a Cupcake of the Month Club - more on all this later!

For now though, let me leave you with a yummy fall recipe for potato leek soup. I've had a migraine for the last 4 days and in a moment of lucidity, I whipped together this delicious soup. Enjoy!

4-5 potatoes - I used medium sized red skins; use whatever you want!
1 leek, greens removed and chopped
1/2 a yellow onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
A stick or two of celery, diced
salt & pepper
parsley, rosemary, & cayenne - I didn't measure, just use as much as you want!
Broccoli, chopped up really small - as much as you want, I used maybe 1/2 a cup b/c that's all we had!
5-6 cups of veggie stock
1 cup cold veggie stock with 3 Tbsp flour mixed in

Chop the potatoes into small pieces and boil in water until tender. Remove from heat, drain and mash.

In a large soup pot, cook the leek, celery, and onion in some olive oil. Add in garlic and spices and cook. Add mashed potatoes and cook a while longer. Add in the 5-6 cups of stock and bring it up to a boil. Once it's boiling, use an immersion blender to make it really smooth and creamy. If you don't have an immersion blender you can use a regular blender - just be careful because it's hot!!

Allow the soup to simmer a while longer, then add in the 1 cup cold veggie stock with 3 Tbsp flour (make sure there are no lumps). This will thicken the soup a bit. Simmer for a while longer - 5 minutes or so, then add in the broccoli and stir. Check the seasonings to make sure they're where you want them and serve hot! YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment