Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Detox Day Two Recap

Day 2 has almost come a close and both of us are feeling pretty good. When I picked J up from work we both admitted to feeling a little headachey and pretty hungry, but good nonetheless!

Our meals/snacks today consisted of:

Carrot-Mango Herb Smoothie
1 Clementine
Avocado with Bell Pepper and Tomatoes 
4 Fruit & Nut Bites
Steamed Broccoli and Squash with Tahini Dressing 
Pistachio Stuffed Dates with Coconut

And lots of water! All of the recipes were awesome - especially the Carrot-Mango Herb Smoothie. It's really smooth and has this wonderful basil aftertaste. Yum!

What I thought would be the most difficult part of the day, was actually fine. I had a work meeting where they serve lunch and while they always make me a vegan lunch, it's still not on the plan. They make a big plate of desserts and inevitably the tray always ends up in front of me. Since going vegan, it's still been hard to stare at that stuff because yes, I'm a chocoholic. But today, I was totally fine. Didn't want it at all. The amazingly filling avocado lunch staved off cravings and I smiled inside during the meeting, knowing that I was fine. That's not to say that I didn't have trouble today. In the morning I was having a hard time waiting for lunch, but I stuck it through; drank another bottle of water and breathed.

The one thing I'm finding is that it takes a lot of energy to prepare everything. I don't want to find myself in a lurch with no food options and so I have to think ahead of time and prepare all of our breakfasts, lunches, and snacks in advance. It's great being prepared - I just hope I can keep this up! I recommend creating a menu for your week instead of blindly picking and choosing recipes from the detox each day. The rigidity helps you plan and also helps you visualize - "This is what I'm eating today." There's no room for that quick run to Starbucks for a coffee and a Kind Bar.

I'm going to have to start planning week two already, but will need to veganize some of their recipes. Week one is focused on only eating fruits, vegetables, and plant-based fats, including nuts, seeds, and oils. Week two adds back in seafood, lentils, beans, and soy. Hold the train. We're not eating seafood...so I think I'll sub in some tofu or tempeh. We'll see - I'm pretty creative :)

No comments:

Post a Comment