Monday, February 27, 2012

Monday Salad

This past weekend, J and I traveled 90 minutes up the coast for a weekend getaway in Camden, Maine. I will certainly post about the trip soon (need to steal photos from J first!) but I will say that it IS possible to take a vegan vacation! Especially when you stay at a Bed & Breakfast with owners who are VERY sensitive to dietary needs and who provide a morning menu that includes many vegan options!

As we pull ourselves out of vacation mode, it's time to get back to work on shedding those pounds and keeping our diets super healthy. J was plateauing with weight loss last week and asked if we could try replacing meals with big simple salads. I'm certainly game for this approach. We're going to continue limiting carbs/gluten and reduce, if not almost eliminate, the use of oils in our cooking.

I had off work today too so that I can get laundry/house cleaning done since we were away. So for lunch, I made myself a simple, delicious fresh salad with:

2 kale leaves - de-stemmed
1 handful of spinach leaves
1/8 of a red bell pepper sliced thinly
1 shiitake mushroom, sliced thinly
5-6 thin slices of English cucumber
1/3 cup broccoli with a dash of water microwaved for 30 seconds
1 Tbsp of sunflower seeds
1 1/2 Tbsp dried cranberries
Freshly ground pepper
1 tsp Italian herbed red wine vinegar
Handful of alfalfa/clove sprouts

No comments:

Post a Comment