Sunday, September 30, 2012

Orange-Clove Pancakes

I woke up this morning before J and really wanted to make a yummy pancake breakfast. I started thinking about my favorite fall smells and remembered how, when I was a kid, we used to take oranges and stick cloves in them and bake them in the oven to dry them out. I always loved the rich, sweet smell  and started craving it this morning. I also had left over raspberry sauce from a cake order I made on Friday and thought this would be a great way to use some up.

Orange-Clove Pancakes
Makes 5-8 pancakes

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cloves, plus extra to sprinkle on top
2 Tbsp canola oil
1/3 cup juice squeezed from an orange (I used the juice of one medium orange)
1 cup almond milk
2 Tbsp maple syrup
1 to 1 1/2 tsp orange extract (depending on how strong you want the flavor to be)
2 oranges (one for juicing and one zested and sliced with pith removed)

Cooking spray

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Form a well in the middle and add the oil, orange juice, almond milk, maple syrup, and orange extract. Mix until ingredients are combined. Stir in orange zest. It's ok if there are a few lumps left over.

Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Once hot (2-5 minutes) spray with cooking spray. I used a measuring cup for 1/3 of a cup to measure out each pancake. Don't flip your pancake until there are a bunch of little bubbles on top - be patient! If you flip too early it can be messy. Once you're all done, serve them as you like.

I served them with raspberry sauce drizzled around then edge and then placed sliced orange on to top of the pancakes and a few fresh raspberries. I sprinkled the tops of the pancakes and the oranges with some ground cloves and served with some maple syrup on the side.


Before J came out, I cleared off our coffee table and set up a little brunch breakfast with a pot of freshly made tea from Dobra. It was certainly a nice way to start the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment