Monday, September 24, 2012

Veganized Heirloom Tomato Galette

I might be mildly addicted to Pinterest. But at least I actually use my boards and don't just randomly pin things that get left forgotten for months. A while back, I saw this recipe from one of my favorite food blogs, Tartelette, for Heirloom Tomato Galette and I pinned it, knowing I would figure out a way to make a vegan version. Well, that day is here, my friends! Well, it was here...

Saturday was one of the first really chilly nights of the season and, while I love to go walk around the town, I was craving a night in with my guy - snuggling while watching a movie, cooking together, drinking wine - perfect fall night. So below are my chances to Tartelette's recipe for those of us of the vegan persuasion. In the future I'm going to make my own dough. I got super lazy and just bought multi-grain pizza dough from Whole Foods, which is mighty different from the pastry dough called for in the recipe. But even so, it was delicious. My favorite part is folding over the crust. It creates a "stuffed crust" illusion that's really yummy and surprising. With the rest of our pizza dough, J made an awesome Stromboli. It was a yummy, warm, cuddly kind of night!

Veganized Heirloom Tomato Galette
Modified from Tartelette

Dough:
Ok, like I said, I took the easy road and bought ready-made pizza dough. But you can easily modify her recipe by subbing in a stick of Earth Balance.

Ricotta Filling:
Remember those awesome Flatbreads we made from Post Punk Kitchen? We took the creamy spread, sans scallions, red peppers, and with only 1 Tbsp lemon juice, and used that in place of ricotta. J also used it in the Stromboli.

Topping:
4 heirloom tomatoes
Fresh herbs straight from our windowsill: oregano, basil, & cilantro

So we made it according to her directions using our substitutions, and then popped it in the oven, but only for about 30-40 minutes - remember - we were working with pizza dough not pastry!

It was easy-peezey to make and proves, yet again, that any recipe can be turned into a delicious, cruelty-free meal! Try it veganizing your favorite recipes and if you need advice on substitutions, just leave me a comment and I'll try to help you out!

No comments:

Post a Comment